Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Part Three: Part III

Apparently O'Brien assisted Goldstein in writing the book. And to think I had to ask him if he had read it already. I should have known of his mysterious ways. He told me that the Party's one and only concern was to have complete power. They didn't care about the good of others, wealth, luxury or happiness; all they wanted was pure power and they would do whatever they could to get it.

O'Brien wanted to create a world of victory after victory and triumph after triumph, but I knew it was impossible. There was no way a civilization would able to endure if it was based on fear, hatred and cruelty. O'Brien wouldn't agree, but I knew he would fail. Something would defeat him. Maybe it would be life. I didn't know for sure, but something would cause him to fail. Sooner or later the Party would see O'Brien for who he truly was and they would tear him to pieces. There would be something in the universe that he could not overcome, no matter how hard he tried.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I couldn't believe my eyes. O'Brien had done this to me. I knew he did, even if he denied it. My own face had changed more than I had changed inside. I was aware of my ugliness, but there was nothing I could do.

Sure, they might have beaten me, but if it was one thing I didn't do, it was betray Julia. I had not stopped loving her; my feeling toward her had remained the same throughout all this chaos.

- Winston Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment