Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Part Three: Part IV

Why had they given me a pillow, mattress, stool to sit on, a bath, warm water to wash with, new underclothes, clean overalls and new dentures? They were treating me like I was some kind of royalty. And everyone knew I wasn't. I was just Winston.

A few weeks or months have probably passed by now. They had started to feed me at regular intervals and even gave me a packet of cigarettes once. All the dreams that had been occurring in my mind had been happy ones; ones where I was in the Golden County or taking about peaceful things. I wasn't bored anymore and had no desire for conversation. I just wanted to be alone and have enough to eat. That was enough for me. I even started to become proud of my body; something I never expected myself to do. I accepted everything now and I had no intention of going back to the way I was before. I had no more doubts, no more arguments and no more fear.

I didn't know how long they were going to keep me here for; it could be months, or even years in solitary confinement. I did know, though, that I still hated the Party, even though I obeyed them. And even though I knew I was in the wrong, it was just the way I liked it.

Somehow O'Brien had read my mind when I happened to be thinking of Big Brother and my true opinions of him. I admitted that I hated him, and I was sent to Room 101.

"Then the time has come for you to take the last step," O'Brien said. "You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him; you must love him."

- Winston Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment